Monday, September 15, 2008

NICU Reunion

Last Sunday the Medical Center held their first NICU reunion. They have been serving babies in their NICU for over 20 years. But it has been the last year or so that they have been able to take care of babies in more critical conditions. Zane and Zoë had to stay in the NICU for twelve days. Thank goodness they didn't have any serious conditions. They just had to learn to eat and to gain some weight. I was so thankful that they were able to stay in BG instead of having to go to Vandy. Having two older kids at home, it would have made it even harder. We did a lot of running around those few days. I would drop the older kids off at school then go to the hospital. While there I would hold and feed the babies, pump some milk, change their diapers and clothes, and just get used to smaller babies. I would usually come back and forth to the hospital several times during the day. I wanted to spend quality time with the little babies and the big babies. My babies had to have several feeding tubes put in and out. They would eat good and then they wouldn't eat good. Poor Zane had his feeding tube pulled out three times by his sweet little sister. They shared the same incubator. It was so nice to finally bring them home. But we did enjoy the wonderful staff in the NICU. So we went back to visit.
I thought this was funny. They had this fake doll in the incubator at the reunion.
Mitchell with me at the reunion.
We got so attached to Dorcus. She is such a great nurse and friend. She took such good care of our babies. You can tell she loves what she does.

These are the G twins. Their mom works at our doctors office.

I think Cassidy had the most fun at the reunion. They had lots of games and prizes. We had to make her leave.


3 comments:

Emma's Mommy said...

That is so neat that they have a reunion for the NICU families. Great idea. I love the last picture of Cassidy. The expression on her face is priceless. You can just tell that she is 'telling you all about it'. Not to mention, that face so reminds me of Tonya when she was a teenager :-)

Deaton, party of 5 said...

What fun! That's great having a reunion--I'm sure those nurses can get quite attached to those babies who are there for some time.

Terri said...

What a neat way to celebrate health! Love the reunion idea.