Friday, August 22, 2008

One Year Ago

I can't believe it's been a year already. Where does time go? It was Thursday and I had a doctor appointment. I went in at 9:30 am for monitoring. They put me in a room with two monitors on my belly. One for each baby. I had to do this for 30 minutes each time once a week. Zane always kicked his off. My belly would always start hurting too, so I would have to sit up holding two monitors. It is definitely a lot harder carrying twins than a singleton, but you get double the rewards. Then I had a 10:00 ultrasound. Everything looked good and they said Zane was about 5 lbs and Zoë about 4 1/2 lbs. My belly was measuring 42 weeks. Then I went in to see Dr. Gass. He had looked over my monitoring results(and I had to have a monitor for contractions) and it looked like I had had a few contractions. But I really hadn't felt anything. So he decided to check me. He checked me and hesitated for a little bit. Then he told me I was 3 to 4 centimeters and my water was about to break. He said he didn't feel comfortable going any further. I had a steroid shot the week before and the babies were a good size. But I was 33 weeks and wasn't mentally ready. My sister had made it to 37 weeks with her twins, so I thought that's about when I would go. My mom was with me that day thank goodness. She said she wasn't sure who was more surprised the doctor, her or me. She drove me to the house to get my stuff while I called John on his mail route. I told him just to come to the hospital after he finished delivering. Then I went with my mom back to her house. They told me to come to the hospital around 3 pm. So we waited for the kids to get off the bus. I told them what was going on and went to the hospital. They put me in a prep room and I looked at the monitor and noticed that my friend Lisa was in labor and delivery too. Lisa had told me all along I would have my babies before she had her son. And I told her it would not happen like that. Well she was in the room next door so I went to visit. We both couldn't believe we were delivering the same night. So I went back to my room and got in my lovely gown and got my catheter. That has got to be the worst thing I went through. It was painful to get and very uncomfortable to have stuck to you. Then came every ones favorite doctor the anesthesioliogst. My epidural was being put in and my doctor showed up. Everything happened so fast after that. And I made sure that I got the forms filled out for my tubal. My family is complete. I always wanted three. I got what I had wanted plus a bonus baby. Then they rolled me into the delivery room. I had told John months earlier that if I was having a Cesarean delivery he wouldn't have to be in the delivery room. I didn't think he was going to make it through Mitchell's delivery, but he did good for Cassidy's. But this was a totally different experience. So I asked my mom if she wanted to be there for the delivery. She was at Mercedes and Meriah's deliveries too. Plus I wanted someone who would stay calm and take some good pictures. So things didn't go as hoped. The doctor had started cutting and I could feel it. Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. I was disappointed that I was knocked out and that my mom was not allowed in(no delivery pictures). But at least I had healthy babies. I was told my babies were doing good and were in the NICU. Zane had to have a little oxygen, but he was good. Zane weighed 5lbs 3oz and Zoë weighed 4lbs 5 oz. They rolled me to my room and I got to see some of my friends and family that had been waiting. The first person I remember seeing was Lisa's dad. She ended up having a c-section after me. So I did deliver before her but only by a few hours. Then everyone came to visit. All I wanted to do was see my big and little babies. I got to see Mitchell and Cassidy, but I didn't get to see the twins until the next day. That was one of the longest nights. The other longest nights was the twins last night in the hospital when they stayed in the room with me all night. I didn't have an alarm and was worried about them missing a feeding that I didn't sleep much. So the next morning I got that stupid catheter out and my IV and finally got to see my little babies. They were so cute. I had seen a picture of them the night before. John was able to take people in two at a time to see them. John's sister Sonia took some pictures of them on my digital camera and brought it back so I could see what they looked like. I stayed in the hospital for four days. My doctor tried to keep me in as long as he could. He was hoping that the babies were going to be able to come home with me. But they were having a hard time eating. So they had to eat on their own and gain some weight. I'm thankful they were so healthy. Big belly mama.
My mom in her delivery wear. Since she didn't get to go in she let the kids play in her lovely attire.


Mercedes, Meriah, Cassidy and Mitchell visiting after delivery.

My little Zane Robert.

My little Zoë Violet.







5 comments:

Valerie said...

What a beautiful birth story! I'd love a bonus baby too :o)
Happy birthday Zoe and Zane!

Mary said...

Happy Birthday kiddozz!! Love with kisses and hugs, Gma

Emma's Mommy said...

Girl, you are on a roll with all the posts!

I can't believe that it has been a year already! I still kinda laugh when you say that you were measuring 42 weeks when you were 33 weeks and you actually thought you might go till 37 weeks. How much further did you think that belly of yours was going to stretch!?!?!? LOL

Happy Birthday Zane & Zoe!!! I love you!!!

Deaton, party of 5 said...

That is such a special story!!! I remember that day fondly with you and Lisa pulling double duty at MCBG.

Terri said...

I can't believe it has been a year. Seems just like yesterday, you were coming to scraps at the church about to pop. WOW!